Designed specifically for elementary and middle school students, SIRS Discoverer offers articles, nonfiction books, images, activities, and websites curated for educational relevance, age appropriateness, and readability.
how_to_reg Creating an account
Some resources and databases allow you to create an account to store progress or research information. When creating accounts for library resources & databases, please be sure to select "Fontana Regional Library" if prompted to select a library.
Additional Vendor Information and HelpFor search tips and help resources visit: http://proquest.libguides.com/sirsdiscoverer/education
OverviewSIRS® Discoverer® is a multidisciplinary database specifically designed for upper elementary and middle school learners, researchers, and educators covering curriculum areas such as, history, health, language arts, math, science, social studies, and technology. All newspaper, magazine, and reference book content is 100% full text, editorially-selected and indexed from over 2,200 reliable, high-quality global sources. The collection includes vetted educational Websites and reference materials such as the Compton’s by Britannica encyclopedia and DK Eyewitness books. Trusted periodical titles include Ranger Rick, Highlights for Children, Monkeyshines, New Moon, PopSci for Kids and many others.
SIRS Discoverer features easy access to the most-used content and features, logical subject tree hierarchy, age-appropriate search and filter capabilities, as well as streamlined results and article pages to help young learners connect with and comprehend content. User-friendly advanced search features enable young learners, and the educators who support them, to find exactly what they need by limiting any search by source type and offering the ability to filter by Lexile range.
SIRS Discoverer is available online through either the visually-stunning Guided Research application or the award-winning ProQuest Academic platform. SIRS Discoverer provides the following features and tools:
- Animal Facts to support the common animal report assignment
- Article Text to Speech, including MP3 downloading
- Citation Generator
- Integration with Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive and Google Classroom
- Language Translation
- Country Facts & Maps
- Educators’ Resources
- Over 500 DRM-free Nonfiction digitized books
- Controversial Issues feature for middle school projects
- Responsive design, optimized for viewing on mobile devices
- Curated Biography Pages
- Standards Correlations tool for state, national and international curriculum standards
- 100% Full-Text
- Editorially-written summaries for every article
- Lexile Reading level scores
- 2,000+ Sources
- 9,000+ Editorially-Selected Weblinks
- 40,000+ Subject Headings
- High quality graphics, charts, maps, political cartoons
- Current Events | Controversial Issues
- Country, State and Province data
- Performing & Visual Arts
- Science & Mathematics
- English Language Arts
- Sports & Health
- Social & Political Science