Check out our eGov Resources page! Access state government, local government, & federal government resources and organizations.
2018, as an even numbered year, will be a general election. Statewide elections will be held:
- May 8, 2018: Primary election
- June 26, 2018: Primary runoff election
- November 6, 2018: General election
Register to VoteThe deadline for voter registration in North Carolina is 25 days before the date of the election. You may register vote by completing the:
- North Carolina Voter Registration Application (pdf)
- Solicitud de inscipción para votar en Carolina del Norte (pdf)
The North Carolina State Board of Elections provides a list of qualifications for voter registration in North Carolina.
If you believe you have already registered to vote in North Carolina, you may check your voter registration status online.
2018 Ballot InformationThe 2018 Ballot may include elections for:
- US House of Representatives
- NC State Senate
- County Board of Commissioners
- County Clerk of Superior Court
- County Sheriff
- County Board of Education
- General elections also may include bond proposals and referenda.
- Macon County 2018 Primary Results for May 8, 2018 | Macon County Board of Elections
- Jackson County 2018 Primary Results for May 8, 2018 | Jackson County Board of Elections
- Swain County 2018 Primary Results for May 8, 2018 | Swain County Board of Elections
To view a sample ballot:
- Visit the State Board of Elections voter lookup page and enter your first and last names as they appear on your voter registration card to search for your record.
- Click on your name to see your registration profile, including your polling place and jurisdiction.
- In the "Sample Ballots" box, find the election for which you wish to preview the ballot and click on the ballot name in the ballot column.
Absentee BallotAn absentee ballot form allows a voter or a near relative or legal guardian to request that an absentee ballot be sent to the voter in the mail. To request an absentee ballot, complete, print and mail in the State Absentee Ballot Request Form for North Carolina (pdf) / Formulario Estatal de Solicitud para la Boleta del Voto Ausente (pdf).
After receiving the absentee ballot, you can complete the ballot and return it to the county board of elections by the ballot return deadline.
Visit the NC State Board of Elections for more information about absentee voting by mail. NC One-Stop Site Search to find early voting locations by county and their hours of operation. No excuse is needed to vote early.