Need help with a research project? The library provides access to a number of online resources to help with your educational, informational, and recreational needs.
Fontana Regional Library, in partnership with Recorded Books, is pleased to announce the availability of online continuing education service Universal Class.
With your library card, you have access to lifelong learning courses in over 30 subject areas, many of which offer continuing education units (CEUs). More than 500 courses are available, and all are designed and led by professional instructors to build deeper understanding and mastery of subject matter. Universal Class includes videos, assignments, quizzes, tests, and options for social media interaction with other learners. Patrons may take multiple classes and learn at their own pace.
From technical courses on computer software to digital photography to babysitting 101, a huge range of topics is available. Universal Class offers courses in Exercise and Fitness, Entrepreneurship, Arts and Music, Home and Garden Care, Cooking, Computers and Technology, Health and Medicine, Homeschooling, Job Assistance, Law and Legal, Parenting and Family, Pet and Animal Care, plus hundreds more.
Access Local, State, and Federal Government Resources including:
- Internal Revenue Service (tax information, IRS forms, refund tracking, resources to help with preparing your taxes, & more);
- Affordable Care Act (Sign up for ACA health care insurance, Small Business Options, Patient Rights, ACA law & more);
- Social Security (how to apply, disability program, supplemental information, "Ticket to Work", Medicare & Medicaid);
- Congressional Representatives (contact your congressman and senator, congress voting records);
- U.S. Agencies and Organizations;
- Protections & Complaints (Consumer complaint, Do Not Call Registry, Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA), & more).
- Tax Information (NC Department of Revenue, tax forms and instructions, Tax disputes, small businesses, identity theft, Taxation Statue, & more);
- Employment (NCWorks for job seekers and employers, youth employees, Employment Security, unemployment benefits, & more);
- NC State Representatives (legislator information, committee memberships, & more);
- N.C. State Agencies (Governor, General Assembly, Birth, Death, Marriage & Divorce certificates, Department of Motor Vehicles, DMV renew your driver's license, Veterans Affairs, Disability & Children's Services, Homeschooling, & more);
- NC Protections and Complaints (Department of Justice, Medical Practitioner complaints, Utilities, Banking, Domestic violence & more.);
- NC Stats & Info (economic data, labor market analysis tool, GIS data, census and demographics, geological survey, statistical information, documents archive, & more)
- Tax Information (Jackson, Macon, & Swain County Tax, Register of Deeds, parcel maps, & more);
- Social Services (DSS, Division of Aging and Adult Services, child support, child abuse, safe surrender, crisis intervention, "Work First" TANF, food stamps, low income energy assistance, refugee assistance, care facility licensing, & more);
- Health Services ( County Health Department, HHS, Dental Health, Rescue Squads, EMS, & more);
- Regional Resources (Board of Elections, Road and weather updates, Great Smoky Mountains National Park road closings, Blue Ridge Parkway, Nantahala National Forest, Southwestern Commission, Western North Carolina Film Commissions, Town of Sylva, Franklin, Bryson City, Dillsboro, Highlands, Cashiers, Nantahala information, Eastern Band of Cherokee & more).
NCLive provides FRL patrons access to a large variety of…
View the full list of NC LIVE databases on our website, including new, featured, & popular resources.
eBook and eAudiobook collections
Access Digital Library Materials on your own iPad, Kindle, Nook, or any other tablet or eReader at home with zero late fees!
- The Home Grown Collection features fiction and nonfiction digital eBooks from North Carolina publishers.
- and more! Check out our eBooks page for more resources and collections.
Visit NCLive today to explore their digital collections.
Call any FRL location for more information on NC Live.
Our online Driver Education program contains North Carolina car, motorcycle, and CDL practice tests, as well as online driver's manual, and access to detailed answers about DMV-related FAQs.
For information about renewing your driver's license or requesting a duplicate driver's license online, visit NC Department of Transportation's DMV - License Renewal & Duplicate.
Business Link North Carolina is your entrepreneur resource center.
Starting a Business? Call BLNC at 1-800-228-8443 to learn what state permits, licenses, tax forms and requirements you need to operate in North Carolina.
A BLNC counselor can provide you the information, resources and referrals that can help you start and/or grow your business. Se Habla Español! BLNC Counselors are available by phone 8am-5pm on weekdays.
Visit Business & Investment Resources from Fontana Regional Library for more information & resources to help you with your business.
BLNC is a division of the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina (EDPNC) and works closely with state, local and federal agencies, as well as other business support organizations, to provide you with the information that you need.
Services BLNC provide include:
- Identify mentoring services, financial resources and other small business assistance
- Customized license and permit information
- Forms for business structures, tax id numbers, employer requirements and more
- Contacts for state, local and federal business services, programs & resources
- One-on-one client consultations