Fontana Regional Library (FRL) is a member of the NC Cardinal Library Consortium.
In order to check out materials from any of the member libraries in the Fontana Regional Library system you must have a current full service Fontana Regional Library card or a card from another NC Cardinal Library, or have StudentAccess through a school in Jackson, Macon, or Swain Counties.
Application for Borrower's Card (pdf)
Where may I use my Fontana Regional Library card?
Your card may be used at any library within our system. These are:
- The Albert Carlton-Cashiers Community Library in Cashiers
- The Hudson Library in Highlands
- The Jackson County Public Library in Sylva
- The Macon County Public Library in Franklin
- The Marianna Black Library in Bryson City
- The Nantahala Community Library in Nantahala
Your Card may also be used at any NC Cardinal Library.
You may also use your Card to access eBooks, eMagazines, eAudios and other online resources through the Library website.
Loan Periods and Renewals
|Type of Material||Loan Period|
|Most books (adult & juvenile), audiobooks, music, magazines, newspapers||3 weeks|
|New books, seasonal books, Friends rental books||2 weeks|
|Videos, all formats (limit 5 total per card) (Not available to StudentAccess users)||1 week|
|AV equipment (checkout fee applies)||1 day|
StudentAccess users are limited to ten print or audiobook checkouts.
Most books, audiobooks, music, and magazines may be renewed for two additional periods as long as no holds have been placed on them. New books and videos in all formats may be renewed for one additional period as long as no holds have been placed on them. Renewals may be done in person, over the telephone, or online. Login to your online library account to renew your items online. (Note: videos cannot be renewed online.)
Friends rental books and seasonal books may not be renewed.
All borrowed items may be returned at any library in the Fontana Regional Library system or any NC Cardinal Library.
Overdue Fines and Service Fees
Fines and Fees listed are for FRL and will vary for other NC Cardinal Libraries
|Type of Material||Overdue Fees||Maximum Late Fees|
|Books, audiobooks, music, magazines, newspapers||$0.25 / day||$10.00|
|DVDs, Blue-ray, Videos||$1.00 / day||$10.00|
|AV equipment||$2.00 / day||$50.00|
StudentAccess users do not incur overdue fees, but are responsible for lost or damaged item replacement costs.
|Friends rental checkout||$2.00 per item; payable upon checkout|
|Inter-Library Loan||None for NC Cardinal Consortium Libraries;
Return postage & any loaning library fee for others
|Replacement library card||$1.00|
|Non-resident library card||$15.00 per six months|
|Copies or computer print-outs||$0.25 per side/page|
|Fax (no international faxes)
There is no charge for the cover sheet
Send: $1.00 per page
Receive: $1.00 per page
|Returned check fee||$10.00|
Keeping Your Library Card Active
- Regular Library cards expire annually, and Temporary cards expire after six months.
- Cards will be renewed only when all outstanding fines and fees are paid in full and address is verified.
- You must update your address if you move.
- Bills or overdue fines must be under $25.00.
- The Library reserves the right to permanently revoke a user’s library privileges for excessive unpaid bills, severe or repeated misconduct under Library Policy, or illegal activity in the Library or involving library resources.
- You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card or on the cards of children for whom you have assumed responsibility.
- Your card has two parts — a key card and a wallet card. Be sure to safeguard both!
- Lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately. You are responsible for all materials on your card up to the time you report the card as lost or stolen.
- If you need to replace your card, please visit your public library. Replacements cards are available for $1.00, and you will need to verify your identity to receive a replacement library card.
- If you change your name, address, telephone number, or email, please notify your library.